Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The List: Intro, 1-3

OK, there's just way too many comics in my reading list for me to write a whole big entry about each one. So in the interest of fast, cheap content, I'm just going to go through my bookmarks from top to bottom and say a few words about each one.

1: Bob the Angry Flower A gag comic about an angry flower, a stump, and a floating fetus. Quite a bit less logical than it sounds. The humor comes from random and often insane situations. Often falls flat, but when he hits it's golden. Almost every strip is a one-off, making this great for random linkage.

2: College Roomies From Hell!!! One of the old guard, it's been around since 1999. I used to follow this strip eagerly, but in the past few years... I'm not sure, it just feels like it's collapsing under the weight of its continuity, getting more and more incomprehensible without actually getting anywhere. The characters behave in ways that I just can't figure out anymore. Still on my reading list for now, but not one I recommend to new readers right now.

3: Crimson Dark A sci-fi story somewhat in the vein of Firefly. (The creator is probably tired of that comparison, but hey. It's a motley band of misfits in a spaceship. The shoe fits.) The character art is done by drawing over 3D models of the characters, which gives the comic a distinct look. It fits the setting and feel of the comic, but does edge right up against the dangerous valley. The story and writing are strong, if nothing extraordinary. A solid read.

No comments:

Post a Comment